First Presbyterian meeting house, 2nd and Chestnut Streets.
The first Presbyterian worship service in Philadelphia was held in1698, when the Rev. Jedediah Andrews, a Presbyterian pastor from Boston, came to Philadelphia and began preaching in a converted storeroom on the northwest corner of Chestnut and Second Streets.
In 1704 the church erected a frame building on Market between 2nd and 3rd streets, and for many years it was the only Presbyterian Church in the city. It was known as “Old Buttonwood” because of the grove of trees that surrounded it. Rev. Andrews spent many days “abroad” on preaching tours in Pennsylvania and “the Jerseys.” When the Presbytery of Philadelphia was formed in 1717, Rev. Andrews served as Clerk, a position he held until his death in 1747.