2016 CONFIRMATION MEMORY WORK
Committing Scriptures and other resources to memory is a way to internalize the wonderful promises of God. The list is not long, and the items should be familiar to those who have attended church regularly.
- Psalm 23
- John 3:16
- Matthew 5:3-12 (Beatitudes)
- Matthew 28:18-20 (Great Commission)
- Galatians 5:22-23 (Fruit of the Spirit)
Know the following:
The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. AMEN.
The Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13, Luke 11:2-4)
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
The Summary of the Law (Matthew 22, Mark 12, Luke 10)
- Love God
- Love Neighbor
The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20)
- I am the Lord thy god, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- You shall have no other gods before me.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain
- Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet anything that is your neighbor’s
Westminster Shorter Catechism
Q. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.